Here is a checklist of safety must-dos:
Inspect your workplace and equipment for potential safety risks.
Be ready for an emergency with fire safety gear, first aid and eyewash stations.
Be aware of OSHA regulations and industry standards.
Be compliant with head, eye, hand and hearing protection products.
Train workers about hazards and how to protect themselves.
About Head, Eye, Hand and Hearing Protection
When there is a potential for objects falling from above, bumps from fixed objects or accidental head contact with electrical hazards, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires workers to wear hard hats.
Hard hats should be inspected routinely for dents, cracks or deterioration. Most manufacturers recommend replacing hard hats every five years. In extreme work conditions with exposure to high temperatures, chemicals or sunlight, hard hats should be replaced every two years.
If an eye hazard exists in a workplace, goggles or safety glasses must be worn. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), approximately 2,000 U.S. workers sustain an eye injury on the job that requires medical treatment each day.
Wear appropriate gloves for the job. An Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) study showed that 70% of workers suffering hand injuries were not wearing gloves, while the hand protection worn by the remaining 30% was inadequate.
Healthcare workers should use gloves made with latex alternatives, such as nitrile and vinyl, to avoid potential allergic reactions that can range from skin irritation to anaphylaxis.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that each year, approximately 30 million workers are exposed to noise levels high enough to cause irreversible hearing loss. Select the right hearing protection device for you and your work environment. Noise Reduction Rate (NRR) is a measurement that classifies the devices’ ability to reduce noise levels, given in decibels (dB)—the higher the number, the greater the noise reduction.
• OSHA requires eyewash stations in any workplace where hazardous or corrosive materials are a risk for workers.
• Eyewash stations must be close enough for workers to reach in ten seconds.
• An eyewash station needs to be found easily in an emergency.
• Eyewash stations must be capable of maintaining flows of 0.4 gallons per minute for up to 15 minutes.
• The location of the station must be on the same level as the hazard, with nothing blocking the way.
• OSHA requires employers to provide proper exits, firefighting equipment, emergency plans
and employee training to prevent fire deaths and injuries in the workplace.
• Having an extinguisher within reach can be the difference between minor damage
and catastrophe, or in extreme cases, life and death.
• Make sure to frequently inspect and maintain the condition of extinguishers, smoke alarms
and any other fire safety equipment.
Source: ESDN Safety Solutions Catalog (copy available upon request)